Thursday, November 8, 2012

Want to play games with your kids that don't suck? Here you go!

With this holiday jam packed with AAA titles like; Call of Duty: Black Ops 2Assassin’s Creed 3, and Halo 4, all of which are rated M, it's clear these titles will be in heavy rotation throughout the year.  But for those of us with younger kids, it’s still too early to be raking up the killstreaks, but how else do we close the gap and get our kids on the sticks?  Well depending on their ages and interest in gaming, your choices may be limited at best.  But no matter I still bond with my 6 and 3 year old and hitting the sticks together is one of our favorite activities  but as anyone who’s ever tried to play some of the games designed for kids will tell you…they are effin terrible!  But being the overseer of The Gamedom, there are few games out there that are tolerable if not downright fun.



So even though I am a self admitting Wii-hater, Nintendo still houses the classic characters who I've grown up playing so there are a few games worth mentioning: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii, and Kirby’s Return to Dream Land are all games that you can sit down and play and not want to gauge out your eyes.  But as I said, Wii-hater here and I don’t want to waste too much time on those.

Here is my list of my go to games to play with my kids:


Even though this game came out in 2006, and my son was only 9 months old, it is still a pretty breezy game to pick up and play and doesn't boggle you down with a complicated control scheme.  There's a good chance that you may have already played this game in its entirety so following the story isn’t needed, and most kids could care less about why their favorite superheroes are fighting and you could easily find this at your local Gamestop for under $10.
(skip stinkers: SpiderMan: Friend or Foe and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2)


Go ahead and dust of those plastic instruments and rock out with your kids!  Now Lego Rock Band has the best selection of songs for the younger kids, but chances are they just want to bang away on the drums anyway, so just turn on “No fail” mode and blast away.  Being that the music craze has fizzled any Rock Band game can be had for dirt.
(skip pretenders: Guitar Hero and Rock Revolution)


I was initially reluctant to playing this game, but I actually enjoyed my time playing with my son.  Even though I don’t like admitting this, but I could see myself playing this one solo.  The replayability for Disney Universe is pretty high and most levels are a breeze to get through.  The major gripe I have with this game is that there is no drop in/drop out which hurts because when my son just wants to play himself, I’m always on call to help with boss battles and not being able to just hop in, well sucks.  Like the Lego games before it, this game is a collect-a-thon and being under $20 makes it a solid investment for the kids.
(skip Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game)





Anytime superheroes are involved, I’m instantly intrigued and when you add Lego on top of that…“well, dude there you have it!”  The compelling and addictive formula for the Lego series hasn't changed much, and that’s not a bad thing!  The controls are immediately familiar and the difficulty is just the right mix for kids and adults alike.  For the 1st, Lego Batman included full voiceover work instead of the familiar “silent picture” vibe.  The collect-a-thon is made even more impressive with an incredible stable of DC characters albeit it would have been more fun to have them unlocked earlier in the game.  Being that this is the newest game listed, you're definitely going to see the price higher than the rest. 
(skip mis-step: Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...