Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dirty Secrets

I’ll keep you my dirty little secret,” well up until now!  I’m not gonna lie, I’m completely ripping this concept from IGN[1] , but as I’ve learned all too quickly that no idea is an original one anymore.  But anyway, I’m here to tell you my darkest gaming secrets…

  • I REFUSE to play survival horror games.

Its not that I don’t think these games are any good, it’s just the fact that I’m scared shitless.  I blame it on Resident Evil (and they day I went to a haunted house with my older cousin and she basically choked me the entire way thru) back in day because that scared the bejeezus of me from the get-go.  I’m not one of those people who get a rush out of being scared; it stresses me out (probably from my near death experience at the haunted house) and I don’t want my gaming experience to be mired with stress.  So even though I really want to play the Dead Space series; I will continue to play the responsible dad card and claim “I don’t want to bring that kind of game home.” 

  • I don’t get into FPS


Yes, I know…how blasphemous!  But let me clarify, I enjoy getting out there and blasting away at whatever comes in front of my crosshairs, but I feel like a lot of FPS are just like most summer blockbusters…mindless entertainment (or a poorly attempted cash grab).  In a lot of FPS’s, there is no depth.  Run, shoot, repeat!  Done right, a FPS can keep me coming back for hours, but few actually execute.

  • I LOVE playing games on easy difficulty[2]

I may be being a little too transparent now, but let’s be real.  Some games are just more fun played on easy!  Some may think I’m cheapening my experience, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.  Just think about it, most games just add cheap deaths and more enemies to increase the difficulty.  It’s not like you’re facing tougher A.I., in most cases, so instead of 2 hits to kill a soldier it now takes 8!  That doesn’t make things more challenging, just more frustrating.  Now, I don’t play all my games easy, but for those random games (X-Men Destiny, Prototype) that are only worth one playthrough…easy it is!

  • I have never completed any of the Grand Theft Auto games

Yea, yea, yea…I know, I know, I know!  How can I call myself a gamer if I haven’t completed any of the amazing titles?  But it’s true; I always get about half way through the game and either I get bored or overwhelmed and eventually stop playing.  The one exception was GTA IV, my kid somehow erased everything off the hard drive and I was too frustrated to even pick the game back up, still am!  I realize that when it comes to open world games, I always come up short on finishing the game.  L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption have both seen the same fate as the GTA series…maybe it’s Rockstar Games’ fault for my ineptitude.

Well, I’ve finally broken down and exposed myself…hope you enjoyed it because it won’t happen again (Judge’s orders)!


[2] Sports games are not included!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...