Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wreck it for the Old School Ralph

I’m sure you’ve already seen the trailer for Wreck It Ralph (and if not watch it now).  But as I’m seeing Zangief and Bowser sitting AA style with other classic video games characters, I couldn’t help bubble inside with nostalgia.  I could go on for days with all of the “classic” cartoons from my youth; i.e. Thundercats, VoltronSilverhawks, Bravestarr, and so on and so for.  But have you tired watching any of these shows recently?  Let me save you some time, they’re terrible and in most cases they’ll ruin your admiration for the show.  This, however, is not the case with video games.  You can go play Super Mario Bros. 3 right now and still enjoy the hell out of the game.  Now I’m no scientist, but you can test this theory with what I call the “Kid Test.”  It’s a really simple test; simply sit a kid down, between the ages of 3 to 9, and see if they can handle six minutes without asking to leave, making fun of everything and everyone, or launching themselves out the window.  Luckily for us gamers, many of our classics stand the test of time and are still enjoyable experiences.  Even though Mario, Sonic, Bill "Mad Dog" Rizer and Lance "Scorpion" Bean (Contra's original heroes) have been recreated and updated throughout the years; their original titles are still benchmarks for today's game community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...