Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Greed Corner 2.0

“For the Love of Money” by the O’Jays is a classic and has been used in popular culture from TV shows to movies, but as of recently it should be the theme song for the video game industry.  Now I know, all I've talked about is how much I love video games and that much hasn't changed (and never will), but I will ALWAYS be transparent with my thoughts. 

So as I've said before, I've ran through the gaming world like Supahead has ran through rappers, so needless to say I've seen and heard a lot of shit. But what I’m hearing from some developers might be the biggest pile of manure steaming!  So there seems to be a growing number of game developers who are all for abolishing used games!  Volition’s Jameson Durall has already voiced his opinion in regards to used games:

Most Game Developers will agree that the Used Games market is significantly impacting the revenue we receive. I think what most consumers don’t realize is that every time they buy a used game, there is ZERO money making it back to the Game Developers. All of those profits are going directly to the re-seller and making it more and more difficult for us to continue making higher quality products 

But here’s what gets me, when one buy a used car none of the profits go to the car manufacturer, so why should video game devs be any different?  Most companies are combating this by adding in “pass codes” that enables the user access to full content and most likely access to the online (multiplayer) portion of the game.  I’m perfectly fine with this method b/c it’s not like their charging us extra for the “pass codes.”  Now some are up in arms over this, but if I can buy used game for $30 bucks when it’s normally $60, then I think I came out on top and if the game is good enough to warrant a pass code purchase, the $10 to $15 bucks won’t kill me.  I’m actually confused by devs being against used games because used games help spur interest in their product.  Back in the day, (that makes me sound so old!) gaming was a community event, meaning that whoever had the newest game; the whole hood would come over and watch and/or play.  And you know what happened when they beat the game, they’d trade it with their friend for a different game so that everyone got to enjoy the awesome-ness (or terrible-ness).  Now as of right now, that can still happen but games have become much more elaborate and replayability pretty much eliminates trading amongst friends.  So where does that leave you…Blockbuster…probably not, they’re closing faster than T.O.’s bank accounts and Redbox’s game selection is lackluster at best.  Gamefly’s a great option but I've yet to get any game ranked in my Top 10 queue, so your chances of getting a newer title is about that same as winning the lottery.  So not to get all political, but unemployment rate is 8.1% and I don’t foresee games getting any cheaper and video game sales are still in a decline, so why add to the frustration?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...